Riverfront Dragon Boat Race Registration
Riverfront Dragon Boat & Asian Festival
Saturday, August 19, 2023 | 8 am – 4 pm
Mortensen Riverfront Plaza, Hartford, CT
July 21, 2023: Team Captain Registration Deadline
July 28, 2023: All team members must be rostered, and all waivers must be submitted electronically. Only rostered team members will be permitted to race
Team captains register the team, create a team name, create a team password, and pay the team registration fee here. THIS LINK IS ONLY FOR TEAM REGISTRATION. Individual team members register after this step is complete.
After team registration is complete, the team captain will receive a confirmation email that will include the specific ATHLETE link to be shared with all the team members they would like to invite to join their roster.
The team captain will email the link from the confirmation email to each team member with the designated team name and Password to invite their teammates to join the roster.
Your Team Captain will register the team and email you the specific registration link, team name, and team password.
- Follow the Athlete Registration link your team captain emailed you
- Select the Division type
- Click Add to cart and click continue
- Enter your name, birthdate, and gender
- Click “Join an Existing Group”
- Select your team name from the drop-down list
- Enter your team password provided to you by your Team Captain
- Enter your home address, sign waivers, and submit
A Club Team is a team that regularly practices together and competes multiple times per year and is a registered sports team, paddling competitively for a club or organization. Club team registrations do not include any practices.
Community teams race with one primary goal: to have fun! A Community team is sometimes new to the sport or an existing team that typically only races once a year. Community teams must be from Connecticut. There are three options within the community division. General Community Teams, Corporate Teams or Non-Profit Teams.
Register in the Community Team Division if you’re racing with a group of friends or family from Connecticut.
Register in the Non-Profit Team Division if you’re racing with a group of colleagues that work for the same non-profit organization based in Connecticut.
Register in the Corporate Team Division if you’re racing with a group of colleagues working for the same company based in Connecticut.
Apply to be a vendor here. Volunteer registration will open in May.
General Team Information
- Each registered team will receive a 10 x 10 tent for use within Athlete Village.
- Teams are welcome to bring their own tables and chairs.
- No additional tents are permitted onsite.
- Each team must remain at their assigned tent area throughout the day to allow race officials to locate team members.
- All entry fees are non-refundable should the crew decide to withdraw from the race or should the race be canceled for reasons beyond the event organizer’s control.
Please read carefully, as this policy has been updated.
The Riverfront Dragon Boat and Asian Festival follows US Dragon Boat Association guidance on Team Composition and Gender Identity. Consistent with the USDBA rules and regulations, all athletes must identify as male or female for racing purposes. As these USDBA regulations change, we will continue to follow their guidelines. If you identify as non-binary, then we respectfully leave it to you and the team captain on how you wish to be considered in the team composition. During the online registration process each athlete must identify as either Male or Female for racing purposes. On race day each person will be provided a color-coded wristband that they must keep on throughout the entire race day to keep the crew composition identification process in the marshaling area moving quickly.
Club Team Composition:
- Club Teams: Club Teams competing for ERDBA must comply with ERDBA rules. Club teams may carry up to 20 paddlers and have a minimum of 16 paddlers. Team rosters may not exceed 26 members consisting of 24 paddlers, one steersperson, and one drummer. Each team member, including the steersperson and drummer, must be at least 14. Children 14-17 are allowed, but only if they are accompanied by their parent or legal guardian in the same boat at the same time and must have a parent sign the waiver.
- Club Mixed teams Division: Boats must contain no more than 10 male paddlers, one (1) drummer, and one (1) steersperson. Please refer to the section on page 2 detailing Gender Composition.
- Club Women’s Teams’ Division: Roster must contain only female paddlers, one (1) female drummer, and one female (1) steersperson.
- Club Crew Breast Cancer Paddlers (BCP) Division:* Roster must only contain breast cancer survivors. (Family members/supporters are prohibited from participating in this division. Teams that include supporters such as family or friends must register in Club Mixed Division.)
- Club Crew All Cancer Paddlers teams (ACP) Division:* All paddlers and drummer of all genders who are survivors of any type of cancer. (Family members/supporters are prohibited from participating in this division. Teams with supporters such as family and friends must register in Club Mixed Division.)
*You may opt to enter your team in a specific division. Please note divisions that have less than three teams registered will not be officially contested. Riverfront Recapture reserves the right to race these registered teams in the best-matched racing categories.
The following details pertain to all community teams:
- Community teams’ registration fees include (2) pre-race day practices. Practice registration will open on May 1, 2023. Please register when the link becomes available, as practice times fill quickly. Teams will also have the opportunity to purchase additional practices and lunches. This link will be sent to the team captain will receive communication via the registered email
- Practices: All practices are held in Riverside Park. If river/weather conditions are safe the practices will be on water in a Dragon Boat; in the event of poor weather, practice will be in the Boathouse, focusing on instruction and technique
- Rosters may contain up to 26 members consisting of 24 paddlers, one steersperson, and one drummer.
- Boats may carry up to 20 paddlers and must have a minimum of 16 paddlers to race
- Boats must contain no more than 10 male paddlers. Please refer to the section regarding Gender Composition.
- Community teams must be from Connecticut.
- The drummer must be listed on the official roster
- Each team member, including the drummer, must be at least 14. Children 14-17 are allowed, but only if they are accompanied by their parent or legal guardian in the same boat at the same time and must have a parent sign the waiver.
- A professional steersperson will be provided to you on race day
Follow us on social media and sign up for our email newsletter to stay connected to our parks and the Connecticut River.